[AZ-Observing] Re: Recharging

  • From: "Jim Waters" <james.t.waters@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:20:56 -0700

A 5 watt solar panel isn't that much.  The laptop current draw on the
battery plus the draw of the inverter is likely to be high.  I don't think
the solar panel would be able to recharge the 12V battery enough.  I am
assuming the inverter is a DC to AC inverter and you use your laptop AC
charger for you laptop.  The best way to figure this out would be to try it
out first.

I would recommend getting rid of the DC to AC inverter.  They aren't that
efficient.  I got a 12VDC to 20VDC inverter for my laptop.  This is more
power efficient.  I use a Deep Cycle Marine battery and trickle charge it
off my 18 watt solar panel during the day.

Jim