[AZ-Observing] Re: Recharging

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DBogan3220@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 06:17:26 -0400

2.6 Ghz I7 is likely the problem. I look through trying to find the specs
on how much power is required to run these kind of laptops and there is no
info.  How long can you operate your machine without having the charger
hooked up? If  its less than two hours that is not good. You need to find a
laptop that gives  you at least 4 hours or more. You don't need a processor
that
cooks along a  better than 2 Ghz for what we do with our laptops out in the
field with CCD  camera's, telescope mount, guider, 10 programs running at
the same time we are  not exactly taxing the machine. When I'm shopping for a
laptop my requirements  are how much power does this thing consume less than
65W is good. 45 Watts is  better. Clock speeds can be as low as 500 Mhz for
what we do. My 1st Gen I3  machines are running at around 1 Ghz which is
more than enough. Plus I run with  the screen dimmed to the min brightness out
in the field and if it sits idle and  CCD camera taking picture with guider
running is Idling trust me nothing can be  more boring for a computer than
doing this I let the screen go out since I'm  likely out running around
looking through other peoples telescopes or bothering  Steve Coe. BTW I can get
up to 8 hours on just my laptop battery doing this. The  cheaper 200 dollar
AMD machines I find at best buy are about all we need. Now  when it comes to
processing images that is a different story but out in the  field taking
pictures just about anything works. My 1st laptop I used out in the  field
years ago was just 100 mhz pentium machine with less than 500 meg of ram  and
that was about typical for the day the hottest CCD was the ST8 and guy's
were taking fantastic images with just this setup. Oh yeah I forgot about this
program I had Astro-Physics Digital Sky voice running the AP 900 goto mount
at  that time this was 1998 99 time frame.

Dwight

In a message dated 3/16/2015 8:40:02 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It  has:
2.6GHz Intel Core i7-3720QM Quad Core Ivy Bridge
Intel HD Graphics  4000 Shared; nVIDIA Quadro K100M Graphics (2GB)
15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare  LED-Backlit Display
1920x1080 Native Resolution
L3: 6MB  Cache

Stan

On 3/16/2015 8:15 PM,  (Redacted sender  DBogan3220@xxxxxxx for DMARC)
wrote:
> Is this an I7 machine with a  high performance graphics card and a 17 inch
> laptop screen. That would  draw some current. The latest generation of I3
I5