atw: Re: National Broadband Network issue

  • From: Bill Parker <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:09:27 +0800

Gee,

And I have been recommending ATW as a source of tech.writing info and help to novices and newcomers today. I hope they do not join until the fire has been "blacked out".

Bill

On 18/08/2010, at 6:53 PM, Rod Stuart wrote:

Wow, it seems that a penchant for Marx and Lenin must must be a pre- requisite for technical writers.

As for Geoffrey, you need to read more carefully. I said that asset transfer UNDER FORCE OR THREAT OF FORCE is theft. Is that the condition under which you give your wife a birthday present?

It is amazing to me, that the thought of private education evokes this mindset that only the well off could afford to educate their children. In fact for every dollar that the government spends on education (or anything else) it has to steal three, and waste 50 cents of it. If this were not the case we still could not afford private schools?

As for Geoffrey's first University, it wasn't Oxford in 1215. Al- Ahzar University in Cairo Egypt is generally considered to be the oldest university in the world. It was founded roughly the same time as the City of Cairo in 969 AD. The first lecture was delivered in 975 AD. The oldest in Europe was founded in 1088 in the northern Italian city of Bologna, and none of them required funds acquired through the theft that is income tax.

And by the by, taxation isn't the only means by which governments thieve. They also do it through currency debasement, which blows your savings away through inflation.

Terry says I should go live somewhere else. Perhaps he should try a modern bastion of Marxist Leninist idealism, such as Cuba if paying tax give him such a thrill.

On 18 August 2010 18:33, Terry Dowling <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Rod,

And of course, if the only people who can afford a privatised education happen to be the children of our overpaid 'sporting heroes', media personalities and the variously well-off, wouldn't society be so much better?!

"Your parents can't pay for your education, so sit at home and find ways to teach yourself" is really going to work for the masses, isn't it? Especially if they have to pay to travel on all roads and there's no such thing as a community library.

One of my favourite news stories about the US hospital system was of a car crash victim who didn't have private insurance who was taken by ambulance from hospital to hospital to hospital, where each refused to accept him. In the end, the city council had to guarantee payment before a hospital would treat him. Imagine if he had been a wealthy, insured person out for a swim or jog without ID and who became unconscious so unable to tell them of his insurance.

In my opinion, just because you get unlucky at birth through having poor parents and/or genes that don't provide the ability to succeed, shouldn't mean you're left to wallow and die. (maybe these unfortunates could become commodities for the commercial researchers)

As Geoff says, paying taxes is not the same as being mugged because in return we get roads, water, education, hospitals, police, parks, beaches….

Cheers,

Terry

--
Rod Stuart