atw: Re: National Broadband Network issue

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:33:56 +0800

Rod,

And of course, if the only people who can afford a privatised education
happen to be the children of our overpaid 'sporting heroes', media
personalities and the variously well-off, wouldn't society be so much
better?!

"Your parents can't pay for your education, so sit at home and find ways
to teach yourself" is really going to work for the masses, isn't it?
Especially if they have to pay to travel on all roads and there's no
such thing as a community library.

One of my favourite news stories about the US hospital system was of a
car crash victim who didn't have private insurance who was taken by
ambulance from hospital to hospital to hospital, where each refused to
accept him. In the end, the city council had to guarantee payment before
a hospital would treat him. Imagine if he had been a wealthy, insured
person out for a swim or jog without ID and who became unconscious so
unable to tell them of his insurance.

In my opinion, just because you get unlucky at birth through having poor
parents  and/or genes that don't provide the ability to succeed,
shouldn't mean you're left to wallow and die. (maybe these unfortunates
could become commodities for the commercial researchers)

As Geoff says, paying taxes is not the same as being mugged because in
return we get roads, water, education, hospitals, police, parks,
beaches....

Cheers,

Terry