Re: [artworks] New arrowheads

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:27:59 +0200

In message <347f3a224e.eddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Eddie Lord <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <85cfc8214e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote thus:
>
>> While we are discussing the name for the new arrowhead option I
>> noticed that while working on the arrowheads this might be a good time
>> to add new ones as well.
>>
>> In the medium term I would like to add user-defined arrowheads, which
>> should not be too difficult, but it will not make it into 2.6. It
>> might be a nice bonus to have at least a few nice new arrowheads in
>> ArtWorks 2.6 (and the associated AWRender).
>
> Can I remind you of an arrow request I put in a few months ago?
>
> Can we have one that ends in an open circle please?
>
>  i.e.   o----------o

Thanks for reminding me. Sounds like a good idea. You got it. ;-)

I will probably do a new filled circle arrowhead, too. The "blob"
arrowhead that we have is very ugly - it is not a proper circle.

With both the filled and unfilled circles, there remains one question,
however: Where exactly should they be positioned with respect to the
line anchor point? It is clear for the old non-integrated arrows - the
arrowhead starts at the line end, i.e., where the anchor point is. In
the integrated case, the tip of the arrow is placed on the anchor
point, but what exactly is the tip of such an arrow? One could argue
that it is the centre of the blob or the open circle. This would allow
you to position the centre using the anchor point, which is useful if
you want to use the filled circle arrowhead to label something.
Similarly, if you use the open circle arrowhead to denote an open
interval in a graph, then you will want to position the centre of the
circle. So, I think this is how it should work.

By the way: I am building a new version of AWRender in parallel that
supports integrated arrowheads and the new arrow types, too. This will
be a free release in the AWRender 1.x line. Of course, AWRender 2
supports them as well.