Re: [artworks] Reinstall oddity

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:48:34 +0200

In message <2373da214e.Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Prompted by Martin's request for new arrowhead shapes, I tried loading
> an arrowheads file from Illustrator to see what was in the
> 'competition'. It's an .AI file, which do sometimes load into AW.
>
> There was an old-style error: "Ep05". I continued, but on trying to open
> a new AW window I got this slightly scary message:
>
>    Invalid licence.  Please reinstall ArtWorks 2.
>
> AW then disappeared from the icon bar. However, reloading AW proceeded
> normally, so no reinstall seemed to be required.
>
> The sequence is entirely repeatable.
>
> Although there seems to be no real problem, I thought it might be worth
> reporting as it may indicate some memory corruption happening somewhere.

Thanks. EPS import is known to be flaky, so I am not surprised. It is
probably just a buffer overflow, so some vital data gets overwritten
which upsets the licence check.

It might be something as simple as the EPS importer trying to read the
next line and the "line" turns out to be 100k long because the EPS
file does not have any linefeeds or something like that. That is just
a guess and, of course, the importer should check the available buffer
space. The EPS code is quite a mess...

Could you send the file to me please?