[argyllcms] Re: Displays with internal gamut emulation

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:42:38 +0200

> sorry to jump into your discussion, I own an U2410 monitor and I am
> struggling to calibrate it correctly - reading some reviews on the net, I
> have set up a custom colour and calibrated that way, having three example
> images (one with AdobeRGB profile, second with sRGB profile and third one
> converted to sRGB and saved without) first two are identical, though third
> one has the most natural colours (reds in this case). This is a forum post:
> http://rawtherapee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2126 I have created...
>
> reading your discussion I don't actually know what to do now. Should I
> calibrate my monitor in Standard mode or should I select sRGB / AdobeRGB,
> calibrate it there?

No problem.

My explanation on the pictures: Untagged images usually treated as sRGB
images. So, if you converted it earlier but saved it without an embedded
profile, it was converted again with a wide gamut display.

Custom and Standard modes work with the same (native) gamut but Standard
mode has higher contrast ratio, better white stability and color accuracy
(the only disadvantage is the lower native gamma).
So, you should choose the Standard instead of Custom. (May be you want to
fine tune it from the factory menu -> read my previous emails...)

As I already said, the Standard mode + software CMS <-vs-> sRGB/AdobeRGB
mode without further software corrections question depends on your .
Softwares usually work with 8 bit framebuffers while the display works with
12 bit/color 3DLUT. But there are big quality differences between the
softwares and the bit depth is not everything.
And note that not every software support CMS. In these cases, your only
chance is the hardware emulation.