[argyllcms] Re: Displays with internal gamut emulation

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:23:35 +0200

Well, yes. Something is clearly broken.
I tried to calibrate the same display with an EyeOne Display 2 as well. I
used the same settings with a ColorMunki again to check it (black point
correction 0 ; gamma 2.2 ; native white temperature - because  the EyeOne
can't handle wide color gamuts).
The i1d2 calibration resulted in the expected LUT curves: Every LUT curves
started from 0,0,0 and ended in 255,255,255 (I could see every dark steps on
the grayscale).
The ColorMunki thoght that all LUT curves should start from somwhere around
3. It is worse in default and simple HiRes modes. (Curves will start from
5).

May be my ColorMunki is also broken or it's accuracy on dark measures is
simply not good enough to deal with this display (at least in default and
broken-adaptive modes).

What do you think about the accuracy if I set the white temperature with the
OSD Gains and I tell the software to do the gamma correction with the native
white temperature?
By the way, I don't like to use those Gains with 10 bit/color connection.
The pure software calibration used to result in better contrast ratios
(those Gains offer only 8 bit precision).
So, can I use an offset value? (I would set the Gains with a ColorMunki in
simple HiRes mode, measure the white temperature with an i1d2, set the Gains
back and use the EyeOne for calibration with the offset value?)