[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 09:18:03 -0700

On Jul 7, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Alex Jamison <a539jamison@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I 'flood the zone' with colors in the areas of special interest that the
> resulting profile will give more accurate results in those regions?

Hopefully.

More sampling will permit the profiling software to build a better map of that
part of color space.

However, if the camera suffers from metameric failures in that part of color
space, no amount of sampling will get you accurate results.

If you're building your own chart, you first want as many different spectra as
you can get, and then you want as many different patches covering as large a
gamut as you can get. Thus, as many different paints as you can get, and then
fill out the rest with printed patches on the physically largest chart you can
gracefully work with. A 12" x 18" chart with 1/2" patches gives you 864
patches, which is a pretty decent patch count to work with. It wouldn't be hard
to get the patch count over 1000, perhaps even over 1500, on a chart that
size...but you'll need to be mindful of your camera's resolution and noise.

Cheers,

b&