[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 21:59:16 +0200

Am 07.07.2013 21:12, schrieb Ben Goren:
On Jul 7, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx> wrote:

And one should avoid contradictory patches. If one patch sais that a particular
RGB triple should be mapped to a particular XYZ triple, and another patch sais
that the same RGB should be mapped to different XYZ numbers, which one should
be honored by the profile then?
And what of general-purpose profiles, or if whatever you're photographing will
also cause similar metameric failures? (I could easily imagine a product shoot
of something with hard-to-reproduce colors and the artist holding a photo of
the original.)

If the camera is prone to metameric failure, pretending that it doesn't or
avoiding certain colors isn't going to solve the problem. You need to either
get a camera that doesn't suffer from that type of failure or model the
multi-spectral imaging techniques using multiple exposures through different
filter setups that Dr. Roy Berns developed.

And you'd still, I'd think, especially want to over-sample the problematic part
of color space as best as you can. If the profiling engine can't make sense of
it, then the profiling engine needs to be fixed (and, in the interim, you can
delete problem patches).

Ben, I fully agree that one can't do much if two _representative_ patches do
conflict (i.e. if they cannot be distinguished by the camera, although they
have different colors for the human vision). My point are rather
non-representative fill-in patches which may conflict with representative ones
and lead to an unnecessarily large error for the representative patch then. The
distance between each fill-in patch and each representative patch should be
sufficiently large in order to avoid this (or at least to avoid potentially
steep gradients in the profile between a representative and a
non-representative patch).

And when building matrix profiles, I would not add any fill-in patches at all,
since they just lead to a biased model (a matrix model can be established from
relatively few patches anyway, so I also don't see any need for fill-in patches
here).

Best Regards,
Gerhard