[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 08:10:18 -0700

On Jul 7, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Iliah Borg <iliah.i.borg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think Maciej might have mentioned that he's got a ColorChecker Passport
>
> Yes he did.
>
>> , which is better than the QPCard
>
> I'm not sure it is. Reviewing quite a lot of shots sent to me by different
> people with the question why the profile is bad I can see that Passport tends
> to drop shadows from the framing and does not have enough place to evaluate
> the light and white balance evenness across the target. Should they have
> surrounded the 6x4 with a gracious grey frame the product will be more
> useful. Another issue with Passport is speculars from the plastic frame.
> Those cause exposure misjudgments and excessive flare. Flat sheet targets are
> easier to place on a grey card which is also necessary to avoid colour
> reflexes and flare, and to cover with the grey card for a separate flat field
> shot.

Valid criticisms...but, on the flip side, the Passport has a bigger and more
useful gamut, and it's great for field use. That's especially true for any
situation where one would previously have included a shot of a classic
ColorChecker for archival purposes.

If you're building a general-purpose profile, neither chart has enough patches
for critical work...the answer is to use a proper tool for the job. But for the
proper problem domain, I prefer the Passport...and it's also the one I'd rather
start with in a jury-rig attempt to do more with less.

You did give me an idea, though...I've got a plotter-style computerized paper
cutter, and I may well use it to make something to slip over the chart rather
than having that pebbled black surface...probably N5 gray printed on glossy
stock -- that should make it easy to spot uneven illumination and hot spots
before I press the shutter.

b&