[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:33:17 -0700

On Jul 7, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx> wrote:

> A (CLUT) profile would now map this RGB triple to an XYZ color which is
> somewhere between the XYZ of the painted patch and the XYZ of the inkjet
> patch.

Ah -- I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

First, if the painting has both metameric matches -- for example, if it's a
mixed-media work with both printed and painted samples -- then you're left with
a significant problem.

The obvious answer is to use a camera that doesn't suffer from that type of
metameric failure.

The next answer is to see if the failure still exists when using a color
conversion filter or a different light source.

The answer after that is to apply one of Dr. Berns's multispectral imaging
techniques -- presumably using the camera you have and one or more filters.

Or, if you're creating a profile just to reproduce a single work of art, you
can use the art itself as your chart; make spectrometer measurements of a bunch
of bits of solid color and match those up with the RGB samples from the image.
HP, I think, has a system to do that automatically, but you could also make an
overlay with a piece of paper, cut holes in it for where you want your samples,
and sample through the holes and photograph the work with the holey paper in
place.

And, for a general-purpose profile, a color between the two metamers is
probably what you want.

Cheers,

b&