[argyllcms] CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:58:51 +0100

Yesterday, I was a little exited when I discovered that ubuntu have
the xicc tool in the univers repository. It loads a color profile
according to the ICC Profiles In X Specification
http://www.burtonini.com/computing/x-icc-profiles-spec-0.2.html

The result was that the default image viewer on the same distribution,
eye of gnome (eog) catch this profile and shows at least jpg images
colormanged. There are now a lot of tools that use this specification
like gimp,ufraw and I have heard that next firefox also will support
this.

I have no idea of the situation on other linux distributions, but I
suggest that the linux section of Scenarios.html is updated with a
line about also loading the color profile this way. It is also
important to do the dispwin step since Ross Burton's  xicc utility
don't load the clut.  It's just nice to be prepared, since this year
will be the linux in the colormanagement history, according to my
crystal ball :-)

Another suggestion may of course be that dispwin is patched to also
load this X11 atom. I don't think it to much work  since Ross Burton's
 xicc.c is only 34 lines long.
http://burtonini.com/computing/xicc-0.2.tar.gz

I also wonder if  someone know a way to check, if or what icc profile
are loaded with xicc?

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen