[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: "Frédéric Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:46:56 +0100

On Jan 13, 2008 9:20 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 12.01.08, 14:14 +0100 schrieb Frédéric Crozat:
> > On Jan 12, 2008 12:35 PM, Lars Tore Gustavsen <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > >

> > > That sound nice.
> > > I wonder if have you looked at oyranos?
> >
> > No.  applying LUT and a X atom is not something worth adding a new
> > dependency on gnome-control-center. For now, I plan to do the applying
> > part. UI will come later.
>
> At a first glace this seems right. Just calibration and device profile
> selection highly depends each on the other. One monitor profile may be
> completely useless with not belonging calibration settings. Therefore some
> profilers pack the VCGT (VideoCardGammaTable) tag into the profile itself.
> But thats not enough.

That is a start, which is still missing right now.

> In the long run such stuff would be less work do be programmed once and
> consistence across desktops to make colour management for Linux (or
> more specifically for X11), and not just Gnome. The spot should be on the
> user of a computer, even if it seems harder to go beyond a operating
> system. As a analogy, after switching the desktop I would expect to use
> the same Xorg or printer configurations.

Except that people are not switching desktop as they are switching applications.
Moreover, taking Xorg or printer configuration as a example is not
really pertinent. Almost all desktop-neutral and non-distribution
configuration software for these points have failed (if they ever
existed) and are handled mostly by distributions (I have
a good experience of this at Mandriva). I don't want the same thing
for color management support.

> If you'd like to work on the logic and a UI including all desktops, the
> CMS library Oyranos might be a good place.

For UI, I strongly disagree. I should happen in desktop environments
for reasons stated above.

For logic, creating a good and stable API from scratch is extremely
difficult, specially when there is few users of this API (Carl Worth
did a extremely interesting presentation one year ago at GUADEC6 about
designing cairo API). And I don't plan to add such dependencies to any
GNOME work for now.

--
Frederic Crozat