[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:09:09 -0600

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 12:28 +0000, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

> ICC Profiles are far more "passive" than I'd previously believed - they
> do very little in isolation.  An application uses them in *pairs* to
> build a transformation (typically using lcms) which is used to convert
> colours from one colour-space to another.  The profile is, at its core,
> nothing more than a set of mappings from RGB (or CMYK, or whatever)
> values to and from device-independent colours.
Etc.

Your explanation, together with what Frederic posted cleared up my
remaining misunderstandings.  Thank you!

In any case, the thing I was worried about, that the vgct data might be
loaded twice so as to compose seems moot.  If I understand correctly,
every time that is loaded into video memory, it writes over what was
there before, so reloading it would be innocuous.  Also, it is fairly
easy to verify by experiment that the applications I am using such as
Vuescan and gimp are not loading the vgct data.  I suppose I could
look into xicc so eog might then use my profile.  Fortunately,
my display profile appears to be not much different from sRGB.

On another matter cropping up in this discussion,  I am pretty sure that
my display is not reverting after the screensaver is invoked or even after
power management turns off the display.  Even switching it off with the
on/off button doesn't seem to change anything.  I definitely did have
this problem fairly recently, and I'm not sure what changed.  I've looked
at all the packages which have been upgraded in 2008, and i can't see how
any of them, except possibly the kernel package, could have made any
difference.  So I don't know how it got fixed.