[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:36:14 -0600

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 16:58 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 15:44:02 Leonard Evens wrote:

> > Also, there is one aspect of this that always confuses me.  The
> > information can either be loaded into the actual video card memory or
> > into a table in the computer memory that X uses before sending data to
> > the card, or I suppose some combination of the two.
>
> Typically these tables will be in video memory since this is used during the
> digital to analog conversion that is done by the video cards onboard DAC.  In
> most cases these tables are fairly small with 3 tables of 256 16 bit entries.
>
> On some cards these might be somewhat larger.
>
> > It was my
> > impression that under X, the information is not actually loaded into the
> > video card memory. Am I right?
>
> No

Thank you.  I'm glad i finally got that cleared up.

Long, long ago, on a PC, video memory was just part of the address
space, and you could look at it byte by byte if you knew where to look.
Is that still the case?  Can anyone recommend an up to date discussion
of how video memory is addressed on a PC?  How about memory addressing
in general?  The last time I understood that was in the days of the
80386.