[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: Frédéric Mantegazza <frederic.mantegazza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:19:20 +0100

On dimanche 13 janvier 2008, Leonard Evens wrote:

> In any case, the thing I was worried about, that the vgct data might be
> loaded twice so as to compose seems moot.  If I understand correctly,
> every time that is loaded into video memory, it writes over what was
> there before, so reloading it would be innocuous.  Also, it is fairly
> easy to verify by experiment that the applications I am using such as
> Vuescan and gimp are not loading the vgct data.  I suppose I could
> look into xicc so eog might then use my profile.  Fortunately,
> my display profile appears to be not much different from sRGB.

Yes, it is safe to load several times the lut. You can check it using
dispwin.

> On another matter cropping up in this discussion,  I am pretty sure that
> my display is not reverting after the screensaver is invoked or even
> after power management turns off the display.  Even switching it off
> with the on/off button doesn't seem to change anything.  I definitely
> did have this problem fairly recently, and I'm not sure what changed.
> I've looked at all the packages which have been upgraded in 2008, and i
> can't see how any of them, except possibly the kernel package, could
> have made any difference.  So I don't know how it got fixed.

The monitor does not have any effect on the video card lut; only sofwares
like xcalib or dispwin can load it (and screensavers!). Hibernate modes
may also overwrite the lut. Switching to console mode, and then backing to
X may also affect it. I think it is a good idea to have a shortcut on the
Desktop to load the lut; so, if you have a doubt, just click!

--
   Frédéric

   http://www.gbiloba.org