[arachne] Re: CHANGE OF PERSONNEL

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 08:06:59 +0930

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:31:48 -0500, Brian C. Murphy wrote:

> If we do not attract enough volunteer skilled and ambitious programmers
> to continue, I suggest we pool funds and hire a programmer or two to
> continue Arachne development to at least the Java Script and SSL level.

Hmmm... programming in DOS requires a lot of trimming and fine tuning to
get the package size down. Good programmers attract high salaries;
perhaps that the reason why so much modern software is so bloated --
no-one wnats to pay for the extra time needed to make it tight and
efficient.

> With the recession at hand, this would also be a good time to request
> the U.S. and Canadian governments to channel some of their "stimulus"
> into getting one or two small programming businesses to provide
> commercial support for DOS in general and DOS Browsers in particular.

Government money always comes with strings attached.....

> Support directed by government is clearly justified because DOS is the
> only operating system that has no commercial support whatsoever due to
> the deliberate attempt of Microsoft in 1995 to kill the DOS operating
> system so that Microsoft could establish it's Windows operating system
> as the only PC operating system.

The ONLY operating system that has no commercial support? I think not.

There are/were (just off the top of my head) CP/M, the Amiga O/S, the
early Macintosh O/S (I think it was called "system"). But most of them
have been abandoned for one reason or another.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E