[arachne] CHANGE OF PERSONNEL

  • From: "Brian C. Murphy" <BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ARACHNE LIST <ARACHNE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:31:48 -0500

That was stunning news on the Arachne List tonight that Glenn had
retired from work on Arachne.  I thank him for the good work he has done
on Arachne during the past (is it really 8) years.

No doubt with the recession bouncing around, he needs to spend some time
keeping his hardware store in shape.

I hope Ray's retirement is temporary and that he will return to the
Arachne programming scene.  He did suffer a bit more abuse from the
other programmers (not including Glenn) than he deserved.  But I would
certainly like to see him continue to use his fine programming skills in
further development of Arachne.

Hopefully, some of the other programmers will return or, if not, at
least will be supplemented with new to us skilled programmers.  I regret
that my limited programming skill is limited to programming in high
level languages and that neither my knowledge nor my schedule of other
activities enables me to be of use in the arcane world of low level
programming.

If we do not attract enough volunteer skilled and ambitious programmers
to continue, I suggest we pool funds and hire a programmer or two to
continue Arachne development to at least the Java Script and SSL level.

With the recession at hand, this would also be a good time to request
the U.S. and Canadian governments to channel some of their "stimulus"
into getting one or two small programming businesses to provide
commercial support for DOS in general and DOS Browsers in particular.

Support directed by government is clearly justified because DOS is the
only operating system that has no commercial support whatsoever due to
the deliberate attempt of Microsoft in 1995 to kill the DOS operating
system so that Microsoft could establish it's Windows operating system
as the only PC operating system.

Just a bit of food for thought.  Let us hear from some of the rest of
your as to how we proceed in the immediate future to provide DOS
including Arachne with the skilled programming support both need.

Brian Murphy
BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx