[arachne] Re: CHANGE OF PERSONNEL

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:35:41 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:50:14 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

> There is an even bigger problem with JavaScript:  Most designers who use
> it on web pages have no idea how it works, so they use 'free templates'
> and fill in the part(s) they want to use on their page(s).  The majority
> of the time they even leave in instructions!  A javascript section which
> does a simple transfer to another page when X happens can run to well
> over 100 lines of 'script', the majority of which is simply dross.

   Sadly, very true.

> Trying to wade through that sort of mess with a 'simple' work-around is
> far from simple.

  OTOH: Scanning every line (javascript or plain HTML) for specific
character groups and teasing out the rest of the address around them, is
something that I have learned how to code, and it has proved to be not
too difficult.  So THAT is what might be possible with a bit of luck.
Any javascript spaghetti-coded-function could be ignored. No one should
expect Arachne to handle the whole of javascript. I doubt even Firefox
does that !

  In DOS, we have to pick only the fights we think we can win.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com