[arachne] Re: Fights we can win ...Re: CHANGE OF PERSONNEL

  • From: "L.D. Best" <l.d.best@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:57:27 -0500

Have all heard that, should we DOSasaurs continue on our paths, we shall be the only source of DOS support?

Microsoft announced, last month I believe, that it is now ending all support for embedded DOS applications. Those POS applications found everywhere from the gas station to Gimbles(sp?) which are dependent upon DOS will no longer get any M$ support, regardless of if someone is willing to pay. Those assembly lines and programmable 'do everything machines' which rely on DOS will no longer be supported.

And if anyone things these places want to switch over to the bloatwarez of even w2k, let alone Veeeeeesta (cousin of Veelveeeeeeeeeeta?), think again.

Linux *could* be pared down for those types of applications, but I'll wager that most companies won't be in a position to even decide which flavor would be best ... let alone migrate to it.

Could China jump in to fill the support gap? Or Russia? Or Japan? I don't know ... but I believe they are all 'high end' experts as opposed to having long time experience with DOS (and I say that despite the fact that China produced DOS 7.1).

Keep your ears peeled ... DOSasaurs may soon be in far higher demand than they were back in the early 80s. Maybe we could make a few bucks with our "out-dated tech knowledge"?

Hope all of you are prepared for the season; our first local insanity is about over around here ... all the horses trailered and on their way back to warm barns or for a pasture run to get the kinks out before they bed down ... my son managed to get the dogs walked, being very careful not to get run over by idiots speeding thru our residential 1.5 lane streets hunting for parking spots so they could stand in below freezing weather to see the parade. Last year I discovered I really needed a pro level flash unit to take pics of said parade -- spent $120 bucks on flash unit but never got to point I could afford the batteries and charger ... Which is good because that gave me an excuse to feel no guilt about not being able to photograph the horses this year. (Bad part is that I could have probably made some decent bucks selling photos to horse owners, but I refuse to feel guilty.)

may you all find warm cozy hugs ...

l.d.
====

Ron Clarke wrote:

  In DOS, we have to pick only the fights we think we can win.

Regards,
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --