[antispam-f] Re: What have they got against Deborah anyway?

  • From: Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:09:17 GMT

In a recent message           Harriet Bazley
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2006 as I do recall,
>           Harriet Bazley wrote:
>
>> We have been under massive Debora[h] attack for several days - somebody
>> is generating messages from a vast number of names all claiming to be
[....]
> I don't know if this helps:
> from http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.mailscanner/46471
>
> "I've found that a lot of the "debora" spam, as well as a fair amount
> of other spam, matches  /6c822ecf/  in one or more of Message-ID and
> Content-ID headers. I have yet to see a false positive."

These may also shed a little light on the probable source (from /.):
www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2060235,00.asp
www.eweek.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=&s=25954&a=194164&po=4,00.asp
www.eweek.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=&s=25954&a=194164&po=7,00.asp
It will come as no surprise that 72% of the infected OSs are XP and
that, by far, the biggest location of the bots is the US of A.

I don't know if this info can help in writing rules to block the
current spam epidemic.  Identifying the mailer/Mime versions may be a
start. Time zone or country blocking (in combination with other
criteria) could help.

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year