[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:49:23 -0500

Freedom is a concept we hear a lot about.  It usually is presented so as to
prompt us to believe that freedom is the ultimate achievement.  Yet, being
free in effect provides us an option to choose how our lives will be
regulated.  The pursuit of freedom is the quest to be in control.  Something
other than freedom will always stand as the reason behind our behaviors.  To
this criterion we are slaves-we serve this principle just as we would serve
an imposed force that dominates us.  Therefore freedom, in spite of its
magnificent appeal, is not our ultimate concern.  Rather, monitoring the
reason for our behaviors is our supremely significant occupation.  In our
quest to participate in eternal life, freedom neither prevents nor insures
our arrival.  Regardless of our circumstance we always are able to choose
either to be slaves of evil-making choices that we know will complicate the
lives of others, or to be slaves of righteousness-making choices that honor
God's intention for the creation.  Eternal life is what we experience
whenever we make the choice to be enslaved by righteousness within the
boundary of our existence, regardless of our capacities or limitations.
These thoughts will compose the sermon for this Sunday, "Embracing the
eternal dimension of life."