[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:11:51 -0600

I pray you are refreshed as Spring brings pleasing colors and fragrances to
us from the divine Creative Spirit.

Life comes to us with unanticipated adventures and discoveries.  We
recognize very soon in our experience that we are being carried from the
past through the present into the future.  Whether we consent to or resist
this gradual process, we know we cannot escape it.  Whenever we acknowledge
this dynamic of ever-changing circumstances, we begin to feel less anxiety
and distress and more trust and confidence in the process that is unfolding.
We grow and learn; we gain insight and understanding.  Yet we never become
absolutely certain of where this process is leading us.  In his sermon on
the mountain,  Jesus calls his disciples to engage life intentionally in a
way that will keep them refreshed and involved.  He cautions them to not let
apparently overpowering incidents prevent them from influencing how their
stories will be composed.  These thoughts will compose the sermon for this
next Sunday, 'Personal abuse and self-sacrifice,' from Matthew 5:38-42.