[amayausers.com] Re: timing problems, i think. please help

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 03:50:34 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/953.html#000006

Rachel,
Melco doesn't have any technicians available for hire that are actual employees
of the company itself.  What Melco, like almost all other embroidery companies,
chooses to do is offer technical machine training (for a fee) to those of us
who choose to start our own repair/training business and then Melco contracts
warranty covered repairs and new customer training out to us after we've been
Melco tested, approved and agree to sign an annual contract.

We are known as 3rd party technicians/trainers.
Some are just technicians, some are only trainers.  Some of us (like myself)
are techs, trainers, embroidery business owners, digitizers and consultants all
rolled into one.

If this is your first time in need of a tech, know that most embroiderers
choose to go with the tech that lives closest to them to keep the travel
expenses down.  Other embroiderers who have had an opportunity to work with
more than one tech might choose a tech they feel more comfortable with or who
might know the machines better, enabling them to troubleshoot the machine
faster keeping the repair costs down.  Not to mention carrying a wide variety
of parts in stock so the customer doesn't have to pay overnight shipping and
pay for an overnight's expense for the tech.

As technicians become better at their trade, they will most probably raise
their labor rate to still be able to earn a living.  Consider a new technician
might take three hours to troubleshoot a problem whereas a seasoned tech might
already know what your problem is before even stepping foot in your shop.  I've
seen technicians around the country charge anywhere from $60 to $125 per hour.
And some technicians will even charge a minimum of one or two hours per job to
ensure they earn a minimum salary per day.  If you're out of warranty, and you
call Melco for service, they will find a 3rd party tech for you and charge you
a minimum of 3 hours at $115 per hour.  If you live farther than 100 miles from
the tech, the bill will be higher.

Because we are all independent business owners, we may have different ways of
charging our customers.  Therefore it's up to you to keep abreast of your
technician's rates and policies.  If you're lucky enough to have a choice
between two or more techs, get to know them all.

As for your specific situation, depending on where you live, if Ted Barnhouse
is going to be near your part of the state, give him a call.  He's been in the
industry many years and when it comes to this line of work, only the strong
will survive.  What I mean by this is I've seen several technicians come and go
over the years for various reasons and those of us who have managed to stay
afloat, even during this recession, will be a good choice.  Also, if Melco
chooses not to use a tech for warranty work, maybe you should think twice as
well.  So watch out for handy men who claim to be able to fix your machine.
They might mean well, but may also cause more damage or throw off calibrations
on your machine.
Oh,... I could tell you some stories of the "husband repairs" I have followed
behind.

Do your homework (you've done well finding this group) and feel free to call me
at any hour of any day if I can help.  ...and don't let the picture of the
educated monkey fool you.  That's an inside joke between myself and a few other
educated monkeys here on the Amaya User's Group.

Ed Orantes
Melco Tech & Trainer