[amayausers] Re: thead breaks

  • From: DLCompton@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:53:10 EDT

Technically, how long is a short stitch?

Dorothy  Compton
Bee Embroidered
_www.BeeEmbroidered.com_ (http://www.beeembroidered.com/)
(916)  635-7467
Rancho Cordova, CA

> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005  15:17:32 -0600
> To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject:  [amayausers] Re: thead breaks
>
> Roland,
> The reference to  "no" underlay on small lettering, I think, was in
> reference to a  particular font, that being, "micro block". This font
> as with many  "digitized fonts" already have some underlay built into
> them and by  adding more can cause problems with the lettering by
> building up to  much thread.
>
> It is my understanding that most Dak type fonts  have neither underlay
> nor tie-ins or tie-offs in them and this of  course goes for "true
> type" fonts as well.
>
> As to short  stitches and auto stitches, a good way to see what is
> happening is to  create a small letter in caps such as "L" or "E".
> Expand this up so you  can see the individual stitches and then goe
> back and forth with the  short stitches on and off. Look at the corners

> and you will see the  addition of the short stictch function at work.
> Having the short stitch  function "on" with very small letters will
> actually build up thread in  the corners and may contribute to thread
> breaks.
>
> Auto  stitches on the other hand is more suited to the "script" type
> fonts  such as Diane Script, Cotillion etc., these are the fonts with
> the  varying thicknesses from fat to narrow to ultra thin....but could
> also  be aplied to some of the serrif type fonts as well with the wide
> and  narrow columns.
>
> Rod Springer
>
> Embroidery  Cottage
> Rod & Sharon Springer
> Melco Trained Amaya Tech &  Trainer
> Design Shop Pro+ Digitizing
>
> Boise, ID   83713
> 208-938-3038

because we  screen print on them also-customers like the 'heavier' look to the
shirt. And yes, we get the same problem-sewouts on one material don't work  a
darn on another! We have managed to get by this  way: solvy, YES...it's a
textured material-solvy helps backing-two  layers of the heaviest tear away,
and
sometimes if it is  a logo with design and lettering around that, I"ve had to
use a  thicker cutaway-on a thinner pique that seems to work. One way we
figured  out what to do is to compare backings on shirts and sweats my wife
collects  out in Arizona-every trip she comes back with another one her mother
buys
here-so we check to see how THOSE were done! Thread breaks-still  learning on
this but getting better... density 4 or higher, double check  needle 'twist'
(a debate last couple weeks on how many 'degrees' of 'turn'  to the
needle-instead of 'straight'  out) presser foot-maximum down short  stitch on
or off?
Still figuring out that one-sometimes it helps, sometimes it  doesn't. Same
with
auto density....got to be a 'standard' in there  somewhere I haven't figured
out. Underlayment-center line...we learned at  training to ALWAYS have
centerline on, but an answer to a question I  put up this morning for some real
small
lettering said NO  underlayment...but depends on material-worth doing a test
either  way!

>> What we HAVE learned-is with rare exceptions-what sews out good  on a
sweatshirt, won't work on a jacket, won't work on a pique, won't  work on a
hat.
Each material has it's own quirks-so I end up with a  separate 'design'  for
each one with the changes so I don't forget them!  Hope this helps....should be
someone in here shortly with more technical  help. I've started printing out
questions and answers from here that I  need and putting them in a notebook for
quick reference. That way I can  make notes right on the page as I test it
out!