[amayausers] Re: thead breaks

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:09:52 -0400

Hi Debra-another struggling beginner here...
we do a lot of pique knits because we screen print on them also-customers
like the 'heavier' look to the shirt.
And yes, we get the same problem-sewouts on one material don't work a darn
on another!
We have managed to get by this way:
solvy, YES...it's a textured material-solvy helps
backing-two layers of the heaviest tear away, and sometimes if it is a logo
with design and lettering around that, I"ve had to use a thicker cutaway-on
a thinner pique that seems to work. One way we figured out what to do is to
compare backings on shirts and sweats my wife collects out in Arizona-every
trip she comes back with another one her mother buys here-so we check to see
how THOSE were done!
Thread breaks-still learning on this but getting better...
density 4 or higher, double check needle 'twist' (a debate last couple weeks
on how many 'degrees' of 'turn' to the needle-instead of 'straight' out)
presser foot-maximum down
short stitch on or off? Still figuring out that one-sometimes it helps,
sometimes it doesn't. Same with auto density....got to be a 'standard' in
there somewhere I haven't figured out.
Underlayment-center line...we learned at training to ALWAYS have centerline
on, but an answer to a question I put up this morning for some real small
lettering said NO underlayment...but depends on material-worth doing a test
either way!
What we HAVE learned-is with rare exceptions-what sews out good on a
sweatshirt, won't work on a jacket, won't work on a pique, won't work on a
hat. Each material has it's own quirks-so I end up with a separate 'design'
for each one with the changes so I don't forget them!
Hope this helps....should be someone in here shortly with more technical
help.
I've started printing out questions and answers from here that I need and
putting them in a notebook for quick reference. That way I can make notes
right on the page as I test it out!
Roland