[adaptech] FW: audyssey: games being released

  • From: "Shane C. A. Lush" <sca.lush@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adaptech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:11:07 -0500

here's some more!
Shane
-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Ibarra [mailto:ibarra02@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: March 5, 2003 4:44 PM
To: blindgamers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: audyssey: games being released

Please find my comments within your message below.
Text of your message written on 5 Mar 2003,
 reads thus: audyssey: games being released

Hi folks

This comment is really directed at James North, but it does include all
other programmers.

It is not meant as a personal attack, I'm just making some observations and
asking a few questions.

James? why do you release your games at the same time as someone else does?

I mean, when Phil released packman talks, you suddenly decided to release
change
reaction the day before.  and now, isn't it just a bit strange that for
months you've been
saying that your going to release dynoman, you set release dates then put
them
back.  you've done this not once but quite often.

I am not a programmer, merely a consumer, but some of your points did cause
me
to wonder.

Could it be just simple coinsidence?

now hunter has been released what a surprise you released dynoman the day
before!

we all new when hunter was being released  but we had no idea over dynaman
because you kept changing your mind.

Did we?
I sure as hell didn't.
Mr. Dovenmire excuse the spelling, was not around to tell us here on the
list when
the game was coming out and all I heard were rumors as to the actual releaze
date.
And because I am not impressed with his passed games save that cute little
christmas gift that got a chuckle out of me, and have not baught any of
them, I don't
even bother to visit his web site.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear you are doing this on purpose, maybe
to get attention?  yes James! your games are good but they are no more
important than any one else's games! so why over shadow them?

I would like to hear how you feel his games are overshadowing anybody elses'
games.  Perhaps you could give us an example.
Or, actually, no nevermind.
I will give you something else to ponder.

Take troop anom, or annon or however it is spelled, can't even bother to
look it up
as it is beneath my skills.

It was releazed sometime last year before Alien out back.
It took me three minutes to beat the demo.
That is right, three keystrokes.
Use your left arrow to target left, and your right to target right, then hit
control or
space (another memory laps) to shoot the falling objects.

Nice though the concept is, I had practised this with the franklin language
master
ever since Jr. High.
You know, the little game where a letter drops out of the sky and it is your
job to
press it on the keyboard before it hits the bottom of the screen?

But I digress.
Soon after, Alien Out Back came out.
Is it similar to the troop game?
Hardly.
For one, there are quite a few more ships to target.
More speed, more skill envolved, better and clearer sound effects, better
music,
fast reflexes required, many weapons that you can use.
etc. etc.

Aside from perhaps the targeting, all similarity stops, and it is a site
easier to
register aito than the other game.

.  don't know about any one else here, but I'm sure getting sick of the
competition between all programmers.  I'd really like to have all of you
programmers working together instead of against each other, it's not as if
we have a huge community and thousands of games being released every week.

Please make up your mind.
Do you want a large community or not?
Two  developers releaze two different games, which in my point of view is
rather
cool, it gives me two choises and themes to chooce from.
As for competition, I haven't seen any.
Inssidental releaze by two companies is not enough to me to consider it even
remote competition.
As for working together, well, I will let the developers answer why not, but
there
must be some good reason.
But for one, it would not surprize me if it was the small market.

I personally feel all of our games are equal, there's not one which is
better than another, and no one programmer is better than another either!

Of course, you are entitled to your personal opinion.
But unfortunately, you are most definitely wrong.
Does everybody get an a in school just because the smartest one of the class
did?
Or just because the teacher considers everybody equal?
It always seems to me that I have to work to earn that a or that extra
credit.

yes, one person might like say, monkey business above say, troopanum.  and
they are entitled to say that as that is their prerogative.

I don't think the games relate to each other even as such.
But if you feel that all games are equal, then we might have a preponderence
of
programmers around waisting their valuable time.
If you and other community members feel that anything that comes out is jus
as
good as the last or next releaze perhaps buying only one game would solve
all
bordem.

I feel it very unfair of you James, to release your games right on top of
someone else who has had the release date set for months, like in the case
of Phil with packman talks and now Justin with hunter.

I appreciate that programming a game isn't predictable, in so much as
something can occur that wasn't foreseen, but couldn't you have held on with
the release of dynoman for say, another week at least?

Will your credit card or land lord hold on the rent just to please your
clients?
Onless you sit home and collect SSI, and program for a hoby in your
plentifull spare
time, people have the need to eat as well, and it costs.

I personally would prefer the release of games to be a bit more spaced out,
as we don't get that many new games to begin with.

I also disagree with this point, but this is truly a case of opinion.

and I guess the last question should be? James what has happened to genesis
and raceway?  you've been promising us those games now for how long? you've
been saying those two games will come out shortly for as long as I've been
on blindgamers, which is now one year, I've no idea how long before then
you've been going on about them.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people on here, but we've had enough empty
promises James! don't tell us your going to release a game unless you really
are.  You've heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?  Well, don't cry
wolf too often Mr North or you'll find yourself being ignored.

Hmmm, I think the evidence speaks for it self where that is concerned.
If it takes longer, it is probably because it is being prepared and made to
be one of
the best games around, like monkey business was.
There was no emptiness there, at anyrate, there are a miriad other things
one can
do to amuse oneself while waiting for game titles with a little creativity.
Life beyond the computer.

Frank.

Looking forward to any comments!

thanks

    Elaine

BlindGamers is the discussion list of the Audyssey community and all members
are expected to behave in accordance with the community charter which can be
found at http://www.audysseymagazine.org/charter.htm
to join the list send a blank Email to BlindGamers-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
messages for the list should be addressed to BlindGamers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You can leave the list at any time by sending a blank Email to
BlindGamers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Visit us on the web at http://www.audysseymagazine.org/

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abvVKB/pEZFAA/46VHAA/VPRolB/TM

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---