[windows2000] Re: Can't DCs be ghosted??

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:38:09 +0100

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:02:18 -0800, Chris Berry wrote:

>>It won't fit in the "server-room". It's *really* that small. 8-(
>>THe server-room was initially intended (some three years ago) for
>>two servers with shelfspace to spare. We are (were...) a small dept
>>after all. Since then, we have grown way more than even the most
>>optimistic plans... THe server-room now houses five servers and a
>>few boxes with cat-5 eth cabling, not to mention all those %&#¤@!
>>manuals and nt4 cd jewel cases bought before my time on the dept.
>>Can't throw them away, don't have anywhere else to put them.
>>Besides, the ppl that run the academic buildings have forbidden us
>>to have a portable AC outside the server-room as it will interfere
>>with the carefully set ventilation in the house... 8-/
>
>If you have that much hardware, running without AC is insane.  Can't you get
>them to cut a hole in the wall for a $300 unit or redo some of the AC ducts
>to cover the server room?

Asked about this, but no. Forbidden. Rerouting some AC ducts from a
cold room nearby is USD 5000. I'm screwed either way. It's probably
the landlord's way of saying "if you want AC, you better pay the
whole thing, even though it's a no-brainer to reroute the ducts".
What can I say... 8-/

>> >You should re-read the application instructions for Arctic Silver
>> >then.
>>I never read manuals. 8*) It's a thermal compound, how complicated
>>can it be? ;-)
>> >They recommend cleaning all surfaces with WD-40, then Isopropyl
>> >Alcohol before applying the grease.
>>Are there any good (general) hardware-lists on freelists.org? I
>>have more questions like these, and I feel they don't quite fit on
>>this list... 8-(
>
>I don't know of any good hardware lists, but I did electronics before
>switching to computers, and I'd be happy to answer any hardware questions
>off list.

Ok. Thx. 8-)

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46-18-4714482 >> 5 signals >>
GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46-701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46-18-471-4474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.