[windows2000] Re: Can't DCs be ghosted??

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:04:12 +0100

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 22:33:42 -0500, Robert Funderburk wrote:

>Even better.  You can get a heatsink for your processor that is
>connected to a compressor that passes refrigerant over the processor via
>the heatsink.

Isn't that how Vapochill does it?

>>>Yupp, I know. That's why we don't use standard fans on the rest of
>>>the servers and on some critical workstations. My own admin
>>>workstation is watercooled and so is the secondary (non-critical)
>>>dc.
>>>

>>Watercooled!!  Wow, thats neat but not something I'd want to use on a
>>production system, I'd worry about leaks all the time.
>>

>>>I think the standard fans are still okayed by amd for athlons up to
>>>1200 MHz or so.
>>>

>>That's what the manufacturer says, but don't believe it, I replace the CPU
>>cooler on any computer I buy, unless the manufacturer lets me select one I
>>know is good.  (Usually Alpha or Thermaltake)
>>

>>>What is thermal tape??
>>>

>>Most computer manufacturers use thermal tape as a heat conductor between the
>>chip and the fan heatsink(looks like a dry piece of colored masking tape).
>>Thermal tape has the advantage of being extremely cheap and easy for them to
>>apply, but is not a very good heat conductor.  The older system was to use
>>thermal paste (that white nasty stuff you see on older processors) which
>>worked better but was more difficult to apply.  I recommend thermal grease
>>(especially Arctic Silver III).  It has excellent cooling properties,
>>although it does take a bit more care in application.  You can easily shave
>>five degrees of heat by switching from tape to grease and the investment in
>>time and money is minimal.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46-18-4714482 >> 5 signals >>
GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46-701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46-18-471-4474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.