[windows2000] Re: Can't DCs be ghosted??

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:49:53 +0100

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:53:03 -0800, Chris Berry wrote:

>>I am split on this issue. On one hand AC is a must in a
>>server-room. On the other hand USD 5000 for installing AC in a room
>>that's smaller than the smallest closet at home kinda feel like
>>overkill.
>
>Agreed, why not get some sort of portable or wall mount unit for a couple
>hundred dollars?

It won't fit in the "server-room". It's *really* that small. 8-(
THe server-room was initially intended (some three years ago) for
two servers with shelfspace to spare. We are (were...) a small dept
after all. Since then, we have grown way more than even the most
optimistic plans... THe server-room now houses five servers and a
few boxes with cat-5 eth cabling, not to mention all those %&#¤@!
manuals and nt4 cd jewel cases bought before my time on the dept.
Can't throw them away, don't have anywhere else to put them.
Besides, the ppl that run the academic buildings have forbidden us
to have a portable AC outside the server-room as it will interfere
with the carefully set ventilation in the house... 8-/

>>Never occurred to me to spray wd40 on the hardware... 8-)
>
>You should re-read the application instructions for Arctic Silver then.

I never read manuals. 8*) It's a thermal compound, how complicated
can it be? ;-)

>They recommend cleaning all surfaces with WD-40, then Isopropyl Alcohol
>before applying the grease.

Are there any good (general) hardware-lists on freelists.org? I
have more questions like these, and I feel they don't quite fit on
this list... 8-(

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46-18-4714482 >> 5 signals >>
GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46-701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46-18-471-4474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.