[triadtechtalk] Re: Kodak digital camera woes

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Sandy:

Resolving to get your PC to work with your camera you have done once already.
Doing it again is obviously very easy to do by following your own instructions
described in your message below.

From you comments I gather that you installed XP H as an upgrade to a previous
OS and that it was not a clean install. Now Norton creeps up, years later, or perhaps
it was a clean installation to which you added Norton and then repented.

I forget who mentioned re "forced hardware", a good point but
one that doesn't apply in your case.

The camera should always be listed as a device
and not as a "drive", for it is not a jump drive, it is a camera, whence your problems.
Windows already did this when you were able to get the camera to work.
Your file associations needed tweaking, that's all.

The camera software you reinstalled threw everything out of whack once again. Windows
had already recognized your new device(the camera) and allowed you to access
& download the pictures. All you needed then was to associate your preferred program
to use with the manipulation of your images or pics.

Knowing what you've accomplished already from your descriptions here is my advise, concisely:

Get rid of ACDSEE and use your preferred software.
Get your camera to work with your PC anew.
Take a break and enjoy life by viewing your favorite pictures, trouble free.

I propose you do the following to accomplish the above:

BTW,
To access Device Manager in XP:
Control panel, then Performance and
Maintenance, then System.
Go to the Hardware tab and
to Device Manager...under Properties Tab
would be listed "working OK" or "forced..."
But that is not your problem.

Have you jv16* and have you let it clean your registry?
When using jv16 I have always deleted >everything<, including the "ignored" listings.
It would be convenient to delete all references
to Norton**, a.k.a. Symantec**,  from your registry.

(*, **, ***, **** see notations below)

Start, Run>
regedit, find "norton" (no quotes) & delete every instance.
Then once more,
regedit, find "symantec" (again sans quotes)& delete every instance.

* jv16 Last free version that doesn't expire:
<http://www.oldstuff.myagora.net/lightspeed/lightspeed95.html#Download%20Sites>
Under "System Tools"

**Don't do this if you have any other Norton/Symantec utility installed.
Just let a dead dog lie and accept its resuscitating escapades.
--------------------------------
As to file associations, here's an excerpt from "Langa":
>>>From LangaList
~ restoring file associations after you've removed a program~
To roll your system back to the way it was before you installed any new piece of software, you need a "System Restore" function (as in WinME and XP), or a "CleanUp" or  "Registry Tracker" or "GoBack" type application; or (best of all) a system backup. Those tools--- and only those tools--- will put your system back exactly the way it was before, with all files and associations in their original state. A simple uninstall will NOT do this--- it's not designed to.
For something like an office suite--- which affects many file types--- the only practical thing you can do to restore mangled file associations (absent a backup, or a roll-back tool) is to reinstall your original software. Many newer suites also have a "repair" function that's offered when you start a reinstall: The repair function may get things correctly associated again.<<<<
--------------

And a great Tip from Lockergnome re File Associations:
 Riddle time: when does an EXE not act like an EXE? When its file association is messed up. But wait! An EXE doesn't have a file association. Or does it? Well, yes and no. The association is... itself. I'm talking about this kind of error: "Windows cannot find PROGRAM.EXE. This program is needed for opening files of type 'Application.'" What to do? Fire up your Registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ Exefile \ Shell \ Open \ Command. Now, whatever value is in there needs to be replaced with the following: "%1" %* (exactly as shown). You should only have to do this when your EXEs have stopped launching properly. %1 in the string defines the object. As a matter of fact, you can also use the %1 trick to change the default icons for BMP, ICO, CUR, ANI, ICL, DLL, or CPL files. Look up at the exefile's DefaultIcon key. See how the data column has a %1? Peruse through the Classes key until you find the filetype name (its extension towards the top of the list will let you know precisely). For instance, BMP is also classified as Paint.Picture. Change its default icon to %1 and you'll have BMP thumbnails in all of Explorer's views instead of the default BMP icon.<<<<<<
-------------

Or more precisely, for the registry hack to File Associations, see here:
http://filext.com/faq/article.php?id=016

----------

But for a far less daunting change of  File Associations:

Open Windows Explorer, and select a file of the type whose association
you want to change. To do that single left click on the file to highlight
the file, next hold down the Shift key, and right-click on the file.
Choose "Open With" from the menu.
Next Scroll down the list of displayed applications and left click on
the application (Program) you want to associate the file type with from the
list box. If you can't find it in the list box, click the "Other" button and find
it on your disks (HDD> under Program Files %for the appropriate user%,>"i_view32.exe").
Make sure the "Always use this program to open this type of file" box
is checked. When you click OK, the file will open in the program you selected, and
the association will be changed.<<<

That was the normal way until the appearance of XP and "rights" and "administrators",
so make sure you're the administrator and hope the changes made this way take effect
permanently.
----------------

You do know of ERUNT***, to back up your registry.
You should also make sure System Restore is working properly
in case the removal of Norton/Symantec from the registry breaks something or
if you choose to hack the registry and something goes haywire then you can at least
regain access to your present state of affairs and try again.

***ERUNT-Look for the latest version here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt
------------------
So,
1)Uninstall ACDSEE
2)Back up Registry
3)Delete all instances of Norton/Symantec
4)Follow your procedure to regain access to your camera
5)Reassociate your favorite image manipulation software with your camera.
6)Do not reinstall the camera software again. By associating Irfanview with your
picture files you can manipulate your images to your heart's contentment, I would assume,
or any other you may prefer. If your camera software is essential, then we'll try something
else.****

BW,
Armando. 8)
**** Something else- Nuke XP and reinstall in a clean, newly reformatted HDD??? ;)

Considerate and careful thought and analysis were applied to the instructions
offered above yet any constructive advise or review or additional suggestion(s)
is most certainly welcome.
A.
Those who spread treachery, fire, and death out of hatred for the prosperity of others are undeserving of pity. ~Jose Marti