[TCUG] Re: Wacky Ideas - Isolated Ped Crossings

  • From: Dick Andrews <RAndrews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:53:55 +0100

There is a small delay with an instant green man due to the intergreen
(invariably set to 4 secs). It may help the motorist anticipate pedestrians
using crossings and even help the safety of zebras. Yes I've seen motorists
"surprised" by a change in the signals, but no I'm not aware of any
accidents as a result of an instant green man. I am of course only talking
about 30 mph roads.
It is of course a moot point as to whether it would it would help a modal
shift to walking.......just as we are giving motorists a message by putting
in bus lanes.........

 Dick