[TCUG] Re: Wacky Ideas - Isolated Ped Crossings

  • From: "Peter Jones" <peter.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:59:51 +0100

Ok Mark, now you and I are probably aware of pedestrians and what may
happen, as are the other members of this freelist, but do you seriously
believe that the average motorist is even aware of pedestrians, other
than to put their foot down a little just in case they do press the
button?

I've heard arguments that wait indicators should be hidden from the
view of approaching drivers in case they see the demands and still try
to beat the signals. I don't agree. I insist they are square on to
waiting peds and would suggest that drivers who do see it, may be more
prepared for the lights to change. It would be lovely to think that
drivers are aware of such things in general and ready to adapt to
developing situations, but I think the general agreement is that there
is more arrogance in drivers these days and if they can get away with
not stopping or slowing, they will. Yes, I know that's a bit of a
blanket statement.

Incidently, when pandering to idiots etc., who is the first health &
safety officer who will try to write a procedure for driving a ton of
steel safely? Someone once tried it with the Highway Code but this tends
to be thrown out of the window after test day.

The typical morons being those who:

1 - Drive around with their fog lights on when it is not foggy - to
look cool,
2 - As signals change to green, they suddenly activate their RT
indicator removing any possibility of you planning for their actions and
have to remain behind them until they can complete their turn,
3 - When driving behind someone, their hazard flashers suddenly
appear... What's happened? Has their engine suddenly failed? Has a wheel
fallen of? No, they are about to come to a normal halt at the side of
the road!
4 - Parking on the offside of the road facing oncoming drivers with
their headlights on at night causing dazzle,
5 - Turning right at roundabouts by using the left hand lane from
entrance to exit - half the time without indicating,
6 - Changing lanes without indicating restricting your forward
planning,
7 - Smoking with kids in the car. By the way, is smoking any less
distracting than using a mobile?
8 - Throwing rubbish from their cars.
9 - turning right or left onto a main road and stopping at the
secondary to main road traffic.

Is it about time we started to tackle these issues, many of which
simply relate to bad driving?

Sorry Mark, this is a very large soap box of mine! I think it's time to
retest many of these idiots and suspend their driving licenses until
they pass. But, in this country and mostly thanks to HSE, we are
gradually removing responsibility from the individual and passing the
buck to people who can afford to be sued. If you fall down a whole in
France and have the guts to tell someone, you will probably be laughed
at for not using your eyes. Over here, there must be someone else to
blame!

As Jeremy Clarkson pointed out, the government stopped the unions
ruining the country in the early 80's but now it's being ruined by
pathetically stupid health and safety legislation being mostly drawn up
by idiots.

Right, I'm now go and write my resignation before I'm sacked!

Feel better now!

Peter Jones
Project Leader - Traffic Control Systems
Phone: +44 (0) 151 934 4254
Fax:     +44 (0) 151 922 4514
Mobile: 07788 100 584
Peter.Jones (AT) technical.sefton.gov.uk
Sefton MBC - UTC
7th Floor
Balliol House
Balliol Road
Bootle
L20 3NJ

Please see our web pages on traffic control in Sefton:

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/content-2781