[rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:05:00 -0500 (CDT)

I have one of those 45/2.8 Tessars for my Contax 139 -- it's a great lens and a great combination.

On Mar 21, 2009, at 8:01 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Peter -

My recollection is that, like you say, the higher index glass reduced chromatic.

Tessars were good lenses from the get-go, but they have certainly been
improved over the years. The last 45 mm/2.8 Zeiss Tessars for the
Contax were amazing lenses...

Eric Goldstein

--

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Peter K. <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sanders,

I would say #2. I do not think the high index crown lanthanum glass improved the Tessar in terms of resolution. Now I am sure people will argue, but perhaps it improved flare, reduced chromatic aberations, etc. But older
non-coated Tessars were often superb in terms of resolution.
Interesting article here that discusses this in detail.

http://www.willbell.com/TM/ChapterB.3.pdf

The quality of the Xenar v. Tessar is not something you'd be able to tell
apart in print or transparencies IMO. Enjoy the camera.

When is your son due?

Peter K