[rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:22:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: Sanders McNew
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:40 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

I am always happy to stir the pot on an obscure
Rolleiflex question.  And I'm feeling my oats these
days:  Melanie is expecting our first child, a boy!
So life is good.

(BTW, Melanie sends her regards to Richard and
Slobodan.)

Back on subject ...

Peter, when you opine that they are "probably"
identical, that can mean only two thing:  Either

(1) Schneider made conforming changes to the
Xenar to match the reformulated lanthanum
Tessar, or else

(2) Zeiss's reformulation of the Tessar did not
improve the lens.

Which was it?

Sanders

Well, my love to Melanie, who is quite attention getting in person! Its very difficult to know how to answer questions like these unless the actual prescriptions for the lenses are available and then one has only the calculated performance. To obtain actual performance on any lens its necessary to run a number of well controlled measurement on it using precision optical instrumentation. The prescription is the "formula" for the lens. It consists of specifications for the curvature of each surface, the thickness of each element and each air space, the distance of the design object plane (at what distance the lens design is optimized), the _complete_ specifications for the glass from each element is made. The latter is available from the manufacturer's catalogue if the actual maker and glass type are given. There are other parameters in an actual production specification such as the tolerances of of performance allowable. I give these details, as I did in my previous post, to give some idea of how complex optical design and production is and how inadequate most of the common informal methods of evaluating lens performance are. In addition to this we have the variations introduced by coating. While coating does not affect the resolution or aberrations of a lens directly the effect on image contrast can affect the usable resolution since resolution is ultimately a contrast measurement. Now having said all that, the change in a design might be for improving the lens because, for instance, an error is suspected in the original design, or because some new glass type can improve the performance or lower the cost for similar performance. Also, many older designs had to be redesigned when stronger envirionmental regulations made it more difficult or impossible to include certain traditional chemicals in the glass. This changed the glass constants and required a redesign to accomodate what ever glass had to be used. Such a redesign may or may not improve a lens, the primary object is to duplicate, if possible the former design. There are many examples but one is that Paul Rudolph's original Tessar can not be duplicated with glass types available today. For the most part re-calculation of a generic type is done using a computer design program. There are many available. The full programs are quite expensive but there are demonstrator versions available free which will give you some idea of how they work. Usually, these are limited as to the number of surfaces one can enter and may have other limits. There is actually one complete program available free but its a command line program and beyond me.

So the direct answer to your question is that no one outside of the factories can be sure if a lens was actually redesigned or what the object or results of the change were. In addition, records from Zeiss show that the company was constantly experimenting with variations of their lenses, at least at the period that the _Zeiss Index_ covers (probably late 1800s to perhaps the twenties). Even where one has patent and other information on lenses it very difficult or impossible to tell which designs were actually used in production and are in cameras (with some exceptions). As far as the effect of Lanthanum glass on a Tessar type lens, my lens designer friend set up a number of Zeiss designs in a modern lens design program and allowed it to do whatever it could to optimise them including using modern low dispersion and rare-earth glasses. The results were that not much improvement was gotten from the glass change.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA