[rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:38:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: sanders@xxxxxxxxx
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:06 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Whiteface T with Xenar question

I just won a Whiteface T, a very late model
(s/n T2316742) and to my surprise it sports
a Xenar taking lens -- not the reformulated
Tessar that I had expected.  Did the Xenars
of the 1970s make any improvements on their
1950s-era forebears?  Any thoughts about
the Xenars on late Ts would be appreciated.

Sanders

I've looked at _Rollei Report 2_ Claus Prochnow's book. According to this no Rolleiflex T cameras were made with Xenar lenses. Prochow identifies your serial number a PR 185/1, this appears to be his own system, he gives the factory number as K-8 but that may cover a number of variations. The serial number is in a block from T 2.199.000 to T 2.249.999 dated 1966 to 1970 . Note that not all of these numbers were necessarily used so the exact place in the series can not be determined from them. Schneider has a complete list of all their serial numbers on line. It takes a bit of digging to find it but its there. Check this against the serial number of the Xenar to see if it fits the age of the camera. Its possible it was replaced at some point, and if so, the finder lens should also have been replaced. However, Prochnow, while highly reliable, is not always complete and someone else on the list may have further information. Perhaps Rollei did use some Xenars on this camera.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA