[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:11:31 -0500

> Slide film projection can only get so good...I mean, the Hasselblad
> projector is probably as good as it gets, and can be bought for
> under $5k
> I'd assume.  A digital projector that would be even remotely
> "comparable" in
> resolution (6k x 6k) would cost a whole heck of a lot more than
> $5k.  I
> would like to know what the high end of commercially available
> "consumer"
> digital projectors are these days, but from what I found on B&H,
> not even
> close...and for $10k+!

Rollei P35AF: $50 on eBay
Sensia 100: $4, $9 to process
Time to load projector: 5 minutes
Detail in shadows: better than I got when I scanned the image, more
than I tought I would get when I took it.
Laptop start up, cord management, application settings, pixels: none
Fun: limitless, priceless

I realize the advantages of digital projection. When a friend gave a
talk to my class, he brought it all alive with his digital image
projection. It was truly wonderful. The setup and forethought I'd
have to put in to match that in analog would be much greater. My
hat's off to the digital revolutionaries who brought all this about,
but my heart is with the slide film.

E.