[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:32:36 -0500

Hi Richard,

>     What kind of digital, or rather electronic, projectors
> are you talking about?  I think maybe people are assuming
> facts not in evidence. I don't think digital theater
> projectors use LCD's.

There are two types of digital projection systems that I've designed.  One
is using an LCD (or plasma) panel (with no backlighting), the other is using
a DMD (Digital Mirror Device...from TI).  BTW, I certainly wasn't talking
about a theatre projector, but an LCD type projector comparable to
projecting a slide using, well, a slide projector like you could buy at B&H.

Slide film projection can only get so good...I mean, the Hasselblad
projector is probably as good as it gets, and can be bought for under $5k
I'd assume.  A digital projector that would be even remotely "comparable" in
resolution (6k x 6k) would cost a whole heck of a lot more than $5k.  I
would like to know what the high end of commercially available "consumer"
digital projectors are these days, but from what I found on B&H, not even
close...and for $10k+!

> Note that electronic means
> still requires an old fashioned lens.

Correct, and also an "old fashioned" light source as well.  The only
difference between the two is the slide vs the imager (in the case of
LCD/plasma, DMD is another architecture, requiring color wheels and
elaborate timing).

Regards,

Austin