[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:45:24 -0300 (ART)

After to read the first Lance's message talking about
Slide film vs Positive film, I thought he was joking,
but I can see now it was only a typo.
As John explained, color negs are corrected during the
print process, anyway for the mountain or sites with
strong UV rays, an UV filter is useful even for color
negs because the cast caused due to UV rays excess is
very hard to eliminate.
The lab machine tends to interpret special light
conditions like pictures about dawns or dusks as
underexposed or overexposed photographs correcting
them for the wrong way, for these cases it's better a
manual printing or to print a scanned neg you
corrected in your computer.
I think with modern slide films you don't need several
filters you needed for older slide emulsions, f.e.
there was a special filter to take color photographs
with Tessar and Xenar lenses not necessary for the
five and six elements Planar and Xenotar, this filter
is not necessary for the Tessar and Xenar today
because most slide and color negative films added
special filters layers, I could verify it in practical
use taking photographs with the Rolleicord IV using
Velvia 100 slide film and Superia and Reala color
negative film, the images did not get the slight blue
cast they got for older films without the recommended
filter.
The color temperature is high for tropical and
subtropical areas and I think color corrections
filters are not necessary most of the times, except
for very overcast days or hours close to dusk and dawn
sometimes.
Anyway filters could be necessary for mixed light
sources, every film technical data sheet has
suggestions about the filters use, but they are not
necessary for daylight exposures in general.-

All the best
Carlos

      Yahoo! Encuentros.

Ahora encontrar pareja es mucho más fácil, probá el nuevo Yahoo! Encuentros
http://yahoo.cupidovirtual.com/servlet/NewRegistration