[rollei_list] Re: Rollei TLR - The History by Ian Parker

  • From: Antonio Garcia Russell <antoniorussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:15:05 +0200

Thanks Todd. That is very interesting and nice to see an image of the prototype. I now know what to look out for if another pops up on eBay.... :-)

Antonio

On 4 Sep 2006, at 21:08, todd belcher wrote:

For those of you with an interest in the Rollei TLR history, I have pictures of a Rollei TLR prototype from 1928 here:

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/-todd/image-59055.html

In the Parker book this is mentioned on page 52 and in the back pg 174. Prochnow (PR 050) has a picture of the one as well on pg 7-162. Originally there were 10 of these prototypes made in 1928 and given out to distributors and photographers of the day to get feedback on the design before production was to begin. Prochnow goes into detail on pgs 7-155 and 7-156 that the focusing mechanism was not optimal in the prototypes allowing the lenses to wobble - in the prototype only the finder and taking lenses (taking lens along with shutter) move in and out when focusing - not the whole front of the camera - the front stays where it is. This was corrected in the subsequent production cameras creating a much more stable platform for the lenses. The physical, visual result of this is, the prototype can easily be distinguished from the production cameras by just looking at the front cover - there are four screws in the corner of the front cover of the prototype that secures it to the camera body. In the production cameras, there are three screws clustered around taking lens that actually secure the drive gears underneath the front cover.

Prochnow also states that he is only aware of one of these prototypes extant and that was bought by the City Museum of Braunschweig in 1981. I found this one on ebay a few years ago. I was not able to trace it's history as the family that was selling it could not provide much info. I was told the US soldier (her father) had served in WWII in Germany and he had died in the mid 70s. What division, or where he was stationed was not known.

todd

On 4-Sep-06, at 10:25 AM, Jeffery Smith wrote:

It's a history of how Rollei got started up at the turn of the 20th century
by Franke & Heidecke, their initial product line (stereo cameras) and then
the subsequent history of their TLRs (through both wars). It's a fairly
quick read, but gives you some sort of insight into how large the company
grew, when it reached its pinnacle, and how the SLR ultimately brought it
down. A nice overview of the company's history with only one unfortunately
"black eye" that occurred around WWII.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com