[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:57:25 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob James" <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

Hello Don,

When I was a kid watching Superman on TV I remember Jimmy Olson with his press camera. I thought it would be so cool to have a camera like that! Even today the idea of that large negative size entices me, especially with the advances of today's film.

Anyone shot Tri-X in a press camera lately? Also I'm wondering how good were the lenses in those press cameras?

Bob

Depends on the lens. Folmer&Schwing, which later became Graflex, offered various standard lenses in their cameras. Before WW-2 most of the cameras came with f/4.5 Tessars of very good quality. After the US entered the war Zeiss lenses were no longer available and were replaced by Kodak Ektars. The Ektar is an outstanding lens. After the war Graflex contracted with Wollensak to supply lenses. These were called Optars but were identical to the Wollensak Raptar. All of the Raptars I've ever seen had a problem. Not sure exactly what it is but they never get quite sharp in the margins even at the smallest stops. They are sharp in the center of the field and seem relatively free of residual spherical aberration, which is important for a lens on a rangefinder camera, but they are inferior to either the Tessar or Ektar. Wollensak made excellent shutters however. One advantage the Wollensake shutter had over the Compur and Kodak shutters was constant trigger pull at all speeds. The Compur and Kodak have a booster spring for the highest speed so that the trip lever becomes rather stiff. No problem for tripping by hand but will prevent a flash solenoid from working properly. Curiously enough the f/5.6 Optar for the 4x5 Super-D Graflex is an excellent lens, evidently a different design from the f/4.5 and f/4.7 lenses used on the Graphics. Graflex also used Schneider Xenar lenses on a few cameras. Mostly the Crown Graphic Deluxe. I have seen only a few of these but the performance does not seem up to the Xenars used on Rollei cameras. They seem to have a similar problem to the Wollensak lens. One occasionally finds a Graphic with a Bausch & Lomb lens, mostly Tessars. I think these were on a par with the Zeiss version. Other lenses are sometimes found but not often. Very late Graphics had lenses made by Rodenstock under the Optar name. I have never had one to test but suspect they are the same as the standard Rodenstock lenses and probably of good quality. In general, Graflex built high quality cameras for professional use and used mostly excellent lenses on them.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles