[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:18 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <Newhouse230@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:22 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

I had two experiences with 4x5 'press  cameras'
. The first was in the 1950's I worked a summer or two at a camera store in Brookline, MA. They had a contract with the Post Office to develop and print 4x5 negatives sent to them each week. The subject'; Post Office trucks that had been in traffic accidents. Each week we got a packet with 4 x 5 film still in their holders. We developed them and made an 8"x10" of each one and returned everything to the local Post Office. The quality of the shots was usually terrible. Large negatives don't guarantee quality if the photographer can't manage to focus well. The relatively shallow DOF seemed to be a problem for the photographers as rarely were all the important areas of
vehicle damage in focus.

The second experience was in college. I worked two summers at Polaroid's home office in Cambridge, MA. I was a quality control test photographer. We subjected the Polaroid films to extreme heat and cold and made note of the color shifts etc. One of the films we enjoyed working with on our own time was the 4 x 5 black and white film that yielded an instant positive print as well as producing a negative. The negative required a water wash if I recall, but could then be printed in the conventional fashion. It was 'that' film which made me crave a 4 x 5 camera. They detail was excellent and we had 16 x 20 prints from that film to prove it. There were also some 'mural size' prints made from them which held up to the
enlargement fairly  well.
That 'positive-negative' film, among others, was given to various famous photographers who had relationships with Polaroid and agreed to create photographs using the instant film. Ansel Adams was one of those photographers. Marie Cosindas was another. She had an amazing eye for color and somehow created a palette that few others could, even using the same films. Using the Speed Graphics in the test studio and getting instant results was a great experience. I was using a Rolleicord VB at the time, and the larger 4 x 5 format of the 'press camera' was another 'step up' in image quality from the 35mm format that had taken hold, almost completely in
the 60's.

Charlie Silverman

I think what the negative needed was a sulfite bath and wash. My memory is that the correct exposure for a good negative was different from the one for a good instant print. The film was evidently akin to Panatomic-X and was made by Kodak. That sort of film in 4x5 can be printed to the size of a barn door.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles