[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 22:07:09 -0400

Charlie -

As an ex-Cambridge and Polaroid shooter, you might be interested in
knowing that Elsa Dorfman still uses a Polaroid 20 x 24 monster for
her famous portraits... I believe she bought all of Polaroids
remaining stock of the film...

25+ years ago I had the chance to take an insider's tour of a special
room at Polaroid in Cambridge... one with a motorized view camera
built into the wall. I do not remember how large the format was but we
are talking many feet by many feet with motorized/robotic film
handling and camera controls. I believe this set up was used for then
state of the art miniaturization of electronic components, and the
scale of it was humbling. I remember the lens was a custom one-off
from Zeiss which cost over six figures in 1980s dollars.

Eric Goldstein