[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:36:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Sadowski" <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:18 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

Years ago I knew Doyle Riley from Texas, who was instrumental in the development of the Vivitar 283 flash. (In fact, he told me he coined the word Vivitar, a combination of "vivid" and the "tar" tag that was already
used on lenses such as the Ektar.)

Mr. Riley died in 1994, but one other thing he had done in the 1950s was create an experimental press camera called the Rilex. I don't recall much about it, other than that it probably had more features than your standard Graflex, a greater degree of movements I would assume, plus electronic
flash synch.

I don't think I've ever seen a Rilex in the flesh but know the camera existed. Its interesting to know something about its designer. I also think it was somewhat more elaborate than the Graphic. I think it may be in the old camera index, drawing a blank on its name right now, oh, ugh! Probably think if it just as I send this.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles