[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:33:35 -0300

 Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> escribió:
> From a very young age I wanted a press camera, maybe a Speed Graphic, or
> something similar.  I now realize that having a press camera would have been
> a real bother and I would have had no need for one.
>
> Are there others who had the same thoughts as a young amateur photographer?

From 1932 up to about 1965 Rollei TLRs were significant press cameras
for photojournalists and even in the '80s and '90s photojournalists
like Arthur Grace and David Burnett covered presidential campaigns in
the States using Rolleiflex cameras. Talking about American
photojournalism only: Robert Capa, Joe Rosenthal, Ed Clark, Nina Leen,
Margaret Bourke White, Dorothea Lange, David Burnett, Joe Rosenthal, J
R Eyerman, Arthur Grace, Walter Sanders, Wayne Francis Miller, Ernst
Haas, Eliot Elisofon, Henry G Walker among several others did an
impressive photojournalism work using Rollei TLR cameras, most of them
used other cameras brand and type BTW and some of them were artistic
photographers too.

Rollei TLR used in conjuction with the Rollei Grip or similar and the
Sportsfinder after to focus with the secondary mirror or using the
hyperfocal DOF or frame viewfinders were excellent press cameras; the
Rollei Wide was also used for photojournalim widely; f.e. it's almost
impossible to find a Rollei Wide in good condition in my country, most
of them were imported for photojournalists and they were heavily used
for the purpose.

This is a photograph about the Life magazine photojournalist Henry G
Walker with his Rolleiflex using a grip and a non Rollei frame
viewfinder:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/1e7a6f9115e820c1_large

Rollei TLR cameras as press cameras were a dream for young photojournalists