[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:22:40 -0400 (EDT)

I had two experiences with 4x5 'press  cameras'
. The first was in the 1950's I worked a summer or two at a  camera store
in Brookline, MA. They had a  contract with the Post Office to  develop and
print 4x5 negatives sent to them each week. The subject'; Post  Office trucks
that had been in traffic accidents.  Each week we got a  packet with 4 x 5
film still in their holders. We developed them and made an  8"x10" of each
one and returned everything to the local Post Office. The quality  of the
shots was usually terrible. Large negatives don't guarantee quality if  the
photographer can't manage to focus well. The relatively shallow DOF seemed  to
be a problem for the photographers as rarely were all the important areas of
 vehicle damage in focus.

    The second experience was in college. I  worked two summers  at
Polaroid's home office in Cambridge, MA.  I was  a quality control  test
photographer. We subjected the Polaroid films to  extreme heat and cold and
made note
of the color shifts etc.   One of  the films we  enjoyed working with on our
own time was the   4 x 5 black and white film that yielded an instant
positive print as well as  producing a negative. The negative required a water
wash if I recall, but could  then be printed in the conventional fashion.
It was 'that' film which made  me crave a  4 x 5 camera. They detail was
excellent and we had 16 x 20  prints from that film to prove it.   There were
also some 'mural size'  prints made from them which held up to the
enlargement fairly  well.
    That 'positive-negative'   film, among others, was given to various
famous  photographers who had relationships with Polaroid and agreed to create
photographs using the instant film. Ansel Adams was one of those
photographers.  Marie Cosindas was another. She had an amazing eye for color
and
somehow created  a palette that few others could, even using the same films.
     Using the Speed Graphics in the test  studio and getting instant
results was a great  experience.  I was  using a Rolleicord VB  at the time,
and
the larger 4 x  5 format of the 'press camera' was another 'step up' in
image quality from the  35mm format that had taken hold, almost completely in
the 60's.

Charlie Silverman

In a message dated 3/24/2012 8:31:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

RUGers,

I did use my 4x5 Graphic for  high school and  college sports and special
events work.

Naturally I was never paid  for the prints, which were needed that day.
I was repaid in  film.

The 4x5 fast print work stood me in good stead when I was working  nights
till 2:30 AM in
night club darkrooms at the Copacabana, Latin  Quarter etc in New York.
Tray developing
and making prints from  wet negatives for the scantily dressed "Camera
Girls".   They  always
wanted fast print service, which I tried to oblige..  My  problem was
getting to 8 AM classes the
next day!  The girls doing  night club photography with their 3 1/4 x 4
1/4 Graphics were a
special  kind of people.  It is too bad that no one ever did a story
about  them-- Not even Weegee.

As "Pal Joey" said  "If they asked me, I  could write a book".

Jerry Lehrer

On 3/24/2012 2:56  PM, Jon stanton wrote:
> I have a Speed Graphic for anyone  interested
>
> Olympia, WA
>
> On Mar 24, 2012, at  2:20 PM, "Richard Knoppow"<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

me that cheating was found to be common  on these high-jackpot shows.  All
meant to make the shows more exciting  for the audience and sell more soap or
cigarettes or  whatever.
>>     The Speed Graphic was the standard  press camera.  There _were_
others such as the B&J camera.   After the Crown Graphic came out in 1947 a lot
of photogs switched to them  because they were noticeably lighter.  The
difference is that the Crown  does not have the focal plane shutter of the
Speed. Busch also made good  folding cameras, and at one time, advertised one
with a focal plane shutter in  it.  This was probably to meet a military spec
for the Speed but the  Busch shutter was much advance over the very crude one
found in the Speed  Graphic and Graflex cameras.  I've never seen one of
these Busch cameras  in the flesh so I don't think many were made.  I had a
Busch Pressman  long ago (a burglar go it) it was a fine camera.
>>   The Speed Graphic became the defacto standard press camera  sometime
around the late 1920s.  Previously the Graflex SLR was very  often used,
especially in the 5x7 size. The story, which may be apocryphal, is  that a
N.Y.Times photog was using his Graflex to photograph an automobile race  and
was
hit and killed by a run-away car because his face was in the hood and  he
could not see it. The Times forbid the use of Graflex cameras and so did
other papers so the Speed Graphic came to the fore.
>>   The film of the time tended to be grainy so having a large  negative
was a virtue. Also, plates and sheet film lent themselves well to  rapid
processing. Also, the usual technique was to use a powerful flash, stop  the
lens down, and use the camera as pretty much a fixed-focus or guess focus
camera to speed up action.  Even if the wanted image was captured on only  a
corner of the negative it could still be blown up with enough detail for the
very low resolution half-tone printing of the time (sometimes with lines
drawn  around the important parts).  After WW-2 smaller cameras began to make
inroads. Initially Rolleiflexes started to appear and then 35mm  cameras.
>>    I was brought up on press cameras.  One  of my teachers in highschool
had been a working press photographer and showed  me how to use a Speed
Graphic, both to take pictures and as a weapon (metal  re-inforced corners). I
still like these old dinosaurs and can work pretty  fast with one.
>>    Of course, modern press work is simply  to point your cell phone at
the subject and take a low frame rate movie of it.  One can then select the
right picture.  In the old days one had to have a  nose for the "right
moment".

the subject field OR by  logging into www.freelists.org

in the subject field OR  by logging into www.freelists.org

>> - Online, searchable  archives are available at
>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list

---