[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 22:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

Eric,
Yes...I did see something  a year or so ago about Elsa  Dorfman's work with
an oversized Polaroid camera.

The robotic-controlled view camera sounds fascinating. That  was definitely
NOT there in the late 60's!

My cousin was one of the (or perhaps 'the' ) top chemists at  Polaroid. It
was he who got me the interview that led to my summer work. Being  in
Cambridge, Polaroid hired the best and brightest of MIT PHD chemists . The
atmosphere in the 60's was a mix of wildly 'quirky' personalities. It was a
very
interesting place to work, even as a low level  summer  employee..
I got to take home the camera of my choice every weekend and  as much film
as I could reasonably shoot. It was hard to imagine a  better job!

Charlie

In a message dated 3/24/2012 10:07:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
egoldste@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Charlie  -

As an ex-Cambridge and Polaroid shooter, you might be interested  in
knowing that Elsa Dorfman still uses a Polaroid 20 x 24 monster  for
her famous portraits... I believe she bought all of  Polaroids
remaining stock of the film...

25+ years ago I had the  chance to take an insider's tour of a special
room at Polaroid in  Cambridge... one with a motorized view camera
built into the wall. I do not  remember how large the format was but we
are talking many feet by many feet  with motorized/robotic film
handling and camera controls. I believe this  set up was used for then
state of the art miniaturization of electronic  components, and the
scale of it was humbling. I remember the lens was a  custom one-off
from Zeiss which cost over six figures in 1980s  dollars.

Eric Goldstein

--

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:22  PM,  <Newhouse230@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had two experiences  with 4x5 'press cameras'
> . The first was in the 1950's I worked a  summer or two at a camera store
in
> Brookline, MA. They had a   contract with the Post Office to develop and
> print 4x5 negatives sent  to them each week. The subject'; Post Office
trucks
> that had been in  traffic accidents.  Each week we got a packet with 4 x 5
> film  still in their holders. We developed them and made an 8"x10" of each
>  one and returned everything to the local Post Office. The quality of  the
> shots was usually terrible. Large negatives don't guarantee  quality if
the
> photographer can't manage to focus well. The relatively  shallow DOF
seemed
> to be a problem for the photographers as rarely  were all the important
areas
> of vehicle damage in  focus.
>
>     The second experience was in  college. I worked two summers  at
> Polaroid's home office in  Cambridge, MA.  I was a quality control  test
> photographer.  We subjected the Polaroid films to extreme heat and cold
and
> made note  of the color shifts etc.   One of the films we  enjoyed
working
> with on our own time was the  4 x 5 black and  white film that yielded an
> instant positive print as well as producing  a negative. The negative
> required a water wash if I recall, but could  then be printed in the
> conventional fashion.
> It was 'that'  film which made me crave a  4 x 5 camera. They detail was
>  excellent and we had 16 x 20 prints from that film to prove it.    There
were
> also some 'mural size' prints made from  them which held up to the
> enlargement fairly well.
>  That 'positive-negative'  film, among others, was  given to various
> famous photographers who had relationships with  Polaroid and agreed to
> create photographs using the instant film.  Ansel Adams was one of those
> photographers. Marie Cosindas was  another. She had an amazing eye for
color
> and somehow created a  palette that few others could, even using the same
> films.
>  Using the Speed Graphics in the test studio and  getting instant results
> was a great  experience.  I was  using a Rolleicord VB  at the time, and
the
> larger 4 x 5 format  of the 'press camera' was another 'step up' in image
> quality from the  35mm format that had taken hold, almost completely in
the
>  60's.
>
> Charlie Silverman

- Post to  rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at  rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR  by logging into www.freelists.org

- Online, searchable archives are  available  at