[pythian] Re: CODE - Network

  • From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:36:14 -0500

> Bad Mike.  What can we do to get skeletally animated characters going in
> the engine?  Even if you just explain how Cal3D is supposed to work, and
> how I can change the Golurut into a Cal3D model, I'll do it all.

Skel characters are already in the engine as far as I know, I did
commit them. The work that remains centered around adding methods for
walking, running etc and then binding that to the player model so the
player can operate a skeletally animation characters themselves. I
don't have time to do this right now, which sucks, but that's how it
goes sometimes. This wouldn't be the first time I've had a free-time
crunch.

So - cal3d. Operating it is pretty simple, and there is good
documentation available on the SourceForge project page. I've
implemented a simple SetState method (as far as I recall) which simply
changes the animation: using that is good enough for now. Later we can
use the mixer in more advanced ways to easily blend between the
movements. The number you pass to this method is simply a reference to
the .cal file which is text describing the model: it's the number of
the loaded animation.

Converting the grolurut: unless you have MS Visual C++ you can't do
this, but I can (as the linux c++ compiler is free and i have it
here). I'll try and get this done over the weekend.

thanks -mike