[pythian] Re: CODE - Network

  • From: Andy <andreastropschug@xxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:27:34 +0200

29.07.2002 16:55:59, "Steven Soroka" <ssoroka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Have the server do a line of sight calculation to see if anything obstructs
>the view of the two characters. If there is no obstruction, tell them about
>eachother, otherwise, don't. ;)

I don't know, but ... is this not very very heavy load for the server?
e.g.:
2 guys meeting -> 2 line of sight calcs
3 guys meeting -> 6 line of sight calcs

n^n-n calculations, or something

or the number of lines between n points:
n^......... damnit... too dumb.. sum over ni -1 from one to number of points

about 120 LOS-Calculations for 16 people.

Is this why vertex sorting is faster than LOS calcs.. ( is it?)

I'm going to study computer-science (Informatik), so please tell me if I'm
wrong, .... don't let me study dumb.

thx :)